Sunday 20 November 2016

Doctor Strange

I am a huge Marvel fangirl.  This did not disappoint me!

To be honest, the whole thing just spoke to me on many levels.  Firstly there is the idea that the mind can heal the body, I know that in the end it all boils down to magic in the film, but as a trainee yoga teacher, I have a firm belief that the mind can heal the body.   It was when the Ancient One shows Stephen Strange the chakra system, I was sold.

Then the Multiverse theory is back, second film in a week to have my head spinning over this.  This film has it in a more colourful and acceptable light, in the sense of it's not every version of our own lives existing at the same time, but separate unique universes all with their own individual purpose.

Anyway, Doctor Strange origin story..... Talented neurosurgeon, has car crash, destroys hands via severe nerve damage.  Standard, the only person that could have saved his hands was himself.  He goes off to find alternative therapies for his hands after modern medicine fails him.  He travels to Kathmandu and meets the Ancient One, who opens his mind to the possibility of other dimensions and magic.

As he studies and learns, his powers grow and he comes across the time infinity stone in the Eye of Agamotto, and then the cloak of levitation.  So when Dormammu threatens the Earth by absorbing it into his own timeless but dark dimension, offering "eternal life", it's up to Doctor Strange to stop him.  This scene on it's own is brilliant, I totally loved it.  DORMAMMU, I HAVE COME TO BARGAIN.
Cumberbatch is brilliant as Doctor Strange, in fact the casting is superb as usual for a Marvel film.  Great addition to the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment